Being on social media can be great however there is also a dark side of things as well. You ever check your phone or computer for the time but get distracted instantly by looking for something else and forget to even check the time? Or have you ever by chance went on Facebook or twitter and you find yourself 30 minutes deep into a “doom scroll” where you continuously are scrolling and not really taking in the information you are reading you are just trying to scroll this infinite page? Here are some of my tips that I have only recently just followed for myself, and by doing so my enjoyment on social medias have become that much better also!
1. Un-follow Negative People. I know this might seem like a no brainer but it really isn’t. I was following people who perhaps might have had drama around them whether it be streaming or people I have seen through tweets too. This also includes people who post nothing but negative things all the time. This is not the person who is venting or who is commenting on something in the world with their opinion. This is the people who post “Having a bad day” every single day, and then when someone tries to cheer them up they immediately respond with something to enforce the helper that nothing can be done to turn the day around. Un-following these types of people can be hard because you feel like maybe un-following them might impact them mentally however at the end of the day if reading these constantly sour posts impacts your view and experience that should come first. Always. Since un-following these types of people my timeline especially on twitter or the “Streamer Twitter” has been that much more positive also too.
2. Follow interests you enjoy. This was something that honestly took me so long to do and I have no idea why! For the longest time since I started streaming a few years ago I followed streamers or anything video game related. Well, believe it or not I do have other interests besides streaming, case in point this blog! What I started to do was search in the search bard for tags like #Blogger, or #Blogging. Another thing I did was I wanted to get more in touch with the art community and creating so that I could potentially tap into that when i wanted to by searching again hashtags like #Artist, #Painting, #Crafting etc and then I would check out their profiles (A lot of them really retweet others so the spam is real but you can mute a profile so that it is not always near the top or clouding your personal timeline as well too). This was great for me to keep an eye on trendy artwork that people are making money off of as well.
3. Limit time on it seems like a pretty easy thing to say. But when you spend hours and hours on it per day you can lose track of time and that can be challenging. Set some time away and limit when you want to interact. A few tips I started doing was that I stopped taking my tablet to bed. Not that I don’t bring my phone and that isn’t bad also but when I had my tablet I found that i was spending so much more time trying to fall asleep. Another is I don’t typically check social medias until I am awake a bit and then I just quickly browse. A lot of the times too I try to “forget” about my phone. I won’t carry it around the house with me because I find I check it more frequently. I also try not to have any notifications on it either. I find when my phone is constantly buzzing I am more inclined to reach for it. I also have my phone on silent nearly 95% of the time unless I am anticipating a phone call which I then would turn it up. This helps to get out of the habit for reaching for it.
4. Block or mute people who you really do not like! This goes a step more than un-following. Sometimes when you have a lot of mutuals with a person simply un-following does nothing because you still are going to see many things popping up if people you follow interact with them. To stop this all together just mute or block them. Some people I know who I un-followed like to be social justice warriors recycling the same tweets and praying on others with guilt and for sympathy and others eat it up. I muted their profiles so no matter how many people like these fake tweets I wont see them anymore. It just doesn’t make sense. And I am tired of seeing it cloud up my timeline!
5. Disconnect. I know this may sound difficult and hard to do. But think if you are camping what are the chances you are going to be sitting on your phone instead of socializing and enjoying the company you are with. This might be the hardest of all because disconnecting can be tough. And if you are saying you are disconnecting, DO IT. Don’t just post about how you are disconnecting only to sit on there all day. That will not be doing anything for you mentally or to recharge. Some of the best days is when you barely touch your device and you have the day pass and you think whoa, I accomplished a lot!
There you have it! That is my top 5 tips for making social media more enjoyable. We all have been trapped down the rabbit hole of wasted time trying to search and find the best tips and tricks that help you. This is just what I have found to work for me and if none of these work experiment with things that will work for you!
What is something that you do to disconnect from social medias?
Do you do any of these tips or tricks? And did they work for you?
Let me know in the comments below!
Sign up for the latest things happening on the blog! Including things that will be upcoming in the For Sale section! And first dibs to purchase original artwork too !